The Diocese of Zaria is a particular church within the Catholic church. The Diocese of Zaria is one part of the people of God, Christ’s faithful, entrusted to the care of the Bishop.The church is a diverse and geographically extensive Diocese with a catholic population of 71,336.
CURRENT STATISTICS OF THE DIOCESE AT A GLANCE
Fr. Patrick O’Connell, SMA -1921.
First Masses in Zaria
13th-16th July 1911 By Fr. Berengario Cermenati.
15th August, 1915 of Maria (a Daughter of Mr. Anthony George-a native of Kabba) by Fr. Alphonse Berlioux.
First Catholic Church built
February 1921 by Fr. Patrick O’Connell called “The Chapel of Bethlehem”
First Confirmation administered
September, 1930 by Fr. Porter.
First Standard Catholic Church built
Dedicated to Christ the King (CKC), Blessed and opened on 7th June, 1931 by Fr. John MacCarthy.
Most Rev. Dr. George Jonathan Dodo.
The First Diocesan Priests’ Meeting
26th September, 2001.
The First Diocesan Priests’ Retreat
5th-10th August, 2001.
The First Priestly Ordination
11th August, 2001.
The First Laity Council Constitution
Signed into law, 25th March, 2003 and officially promulgated on 15th April, 2003.
Geographical Area Covered by the Diocese
18,000 sq km
Human Population of the Diocese
Number of Parishes/Pastoral Areas
Number of Military/Police Chaplaincies
Incardinated priests currently working in the Diocese
Incardinated Priests working in other Dioceses
Incardinated Priests of the Diocese on Studies
Total number of incardinated Priests of the Diocese
Priests on Mission from other Dioceses/Congregation
Total number of Priests currently working in the Diocese
Male Religious Working in the Diocese
Female Religious Working in the Diocese